Subject: Re: Is FORGE any good ?
From: Marcel Valcarce <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 18:34:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 16 Oct 1994, Thierry Humeau wrote:

> You wrote: 
> 
> Is FORGE a real good texture geration program.  I have read a little note
> about it on some mail order flyer but it did not say much about the 
> program.  Could somebody let me know how FORGE works and if it's fully
> compatible with LW 3.1.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Thierry.

Forge is an awsome program. It is basically a stand alone texture 
renderer which evolved out of a texture set called Essence  writen 
originally for Imagine (The only reason to use it was Essence).  Forge 
goes way beyond simple fractal noise with textures that create organic 
surfaces (like reptile skin, or veiny/crusty surfaces); great hulplate 
and machinary textures (like the surface of the Death Star) and lots of 
other stuff liek Julia sets, Mandlebrots, caustics, ripples,  etc... 

The really nice thing about Forge is just about all textures are 
morphable, so you can create some really neat effects (this was real 
useful in Imagine where the textures are generated when rendering. For us 
LW users you have to render out images and use them as maps. It renders 
IFF, JPG, TIFF, and s couple of others I can't remember. 

I will try to upload some pics I have made using Forge textures to the 
tomahawk site (if there is a place for them).

PS. I do not work for (or even know) Steve Worley and I am not affiliated 
with Apex (the publisher), I just think its a great piece of software. 
For anyone whos used Kai's P.T. on a Mac Forge is the closest Amiga 
equivalent.  

-MarcelV
[email-masked]